Is it too hot for my chinchillas? Is it too cold for my chinchillas? Will my chinchilla be able to survive this humidity? Can my chinchilla die from this oppressive heat? What is the ideal temperature for Chinchillas?
All these are pretty valid questions that are commonly asked by many chinchillas owners. And yes, sometimes you get randomly panicked and anxious trying to figure out if the weather is okay for your pets.
So, in an attempt to bring your mind to peace about your chinchilla and what temperature they can survive, we have brought this article.
It talks about the Suitable temperature preferred by your pets, why you need to understand that, and some disturbing temperatures too!
Why Do I Need To Understand The Ideal Temperature For My Chinchillas
- You see, chinchillas were creatures from the wild. Although nowadays they have become very rare in the forests and many, many are found as caged chinchillas kept by humans as pets.
- But the point remains that an animal evolves, mutates, and adopts in a way that its surroundings dictate.
- So when you are bringing in some creature as a pet, it really is necessary for you to understand and Gauge what temperature would suit your chinchilla.
- This becomes more important in case you have a small creature like chinchillas because due to low body mass it is difficult for them to adapt themselves to certain temperature changes. Most of the time their bodies are unable to cope.
- Thus you must know what temperature might suit and harm your chinchillas.
What Is The Suitable Temperature For My Chinchillas?
Okay, so before hazarding any guesses about the Suitable temperature for your pet chinchillas it is necessary we remember some facts about them.
- Chinchillas are native to the mountainous forests of South America. To be particular they were originally from the Andes in Chile.
- The above fact automatically implies that native Chinchillas were accustomed to lower temperature: temperature that is relatively cold and dry.
- And because they lived in such temperatures their bodies had also adapted to give them thick fur coating that is great for protecting Chinchillas at higher altitudes with lower temperatures.
- Now when you are keeping a pet chinchilla you need to keep in mind the above-mentioned facts. So keeping those in mind it has been reported that the Ideal temperature for chinchillas is 60 F to 70 F. Also as reported by the Aviatic and Exotic Veterinary Care, chinchillas can tolerate humidity of less than 60%.
- The temperature and humidity taken together in an ideal situation should not be more than 150.
How To Maintain The Ideal Chinchilla Temperature
As we said, chinchillas are very sensitive to temperature changes and these sudden changes at night also have adverse effects on their body.
So here are some ways you can try to keep your chinchillas safe from problems cropping up due to changes in Temperature.
- Firstly, the cage of the chinchilla should always be placed in a dry and lighted area. This is important because the sunlight helps the chinchillas to keep up with the day-might dynamics. And overall sunlight also keeps the area fresh and damp-free.
- This damp-free is important because chinchillas are unable to tolerate much dampness around them.
- Secondly, if you live in hotter regions, then you are to keep your chinchillas in cooler regions that are Air-conditioned. Chinchillas at an ideal temperature are happy chinchillas.
- Also, ensure that your chinchilla should not get wet, nor should they be staying home drenched. Because of low temperatures, the chinchillas get wet to lower body temperature is not.
Temperature Harmful For Chinchillas
- Chinchillas cannot tolerate excessive heat and humidity (We have discussed the thresholds in the above parts)
- Anything above 90F for a longer period of time can harm your chinchilla.
- The danger of such high temperatures is that native Chinchillas adapted to the colder Andes mountains with thick fur coats all over.
- Now if the temperature is higher this fur coat that was a boon for them has the potential of turning into a curse.
- And thus such heat becomes responsible for heat strokes in chinchillas.
That said, we hope that we are able to properly explain the necessity to understand the Ideal Temperature for your chinchillas. And thus, we also hope that the article was able to answer some of your questions regarding the Ideal Temperature for chinchillas!